For a month after the hurricane,  I was unable to speak with her, who lives in the island. In anxiety and sorrow, becoming addictive to news and social media posts, that I could not stop myself, compulsively, from searching and reading, over and over, I was living in Europe. My family and friends in the island where surviving in scarcity, without water, electricity or any means of communications; and some of them had lost their home. The island was plagued by floods, landslides and a terrible isolation created by nature, politicians and the socio- economic conditions.




For us islanders, post colonialism and migration are indeed our story. 
Our island lives inside us.














Comments

Daniel Montoya said…
I hope that all island nations formed by post-colonialism can one day shed their colonial bindings and restraints and truly be able to determine freely a sustainable and dignified future.

Popular Posts